Things you should know about coffee!

Back to listings
Originally, coffee was eaten. African tribes mixed coffee berries with fat which formed energy balls!

The rise of Islam contributed greatly to the popularity of coffee. The religion prohibited drinking alcohol but coffee was considered an acceptable drink.

All coffee in the world grows in the 'Bean Belt' - the area between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn. Hawaii is the only state in the US that grows coffee.


In 1675 the King of England banned coffee houses, claiming they were places where people met to conspire against him.

70% of th world consumes Arabica coffee, which is mild and aromatic. The remaining 30% drinks Robusta, which is more bitter tasting but has 50% more caffeine than Arabica.

Coffee grows on trees. They can grow to be up to 30ft tall, but are cultivated around 10ft for ease of picking.

Coffee beans are inside a seed of a bright red berry.

Coffee is the second most traded commodity on earth (with oil being the first).

Coffee berries are picked, dried and stripped until all that is left is a green bean.

A Belgian man living in Guatemala by the name of George Washington invented it in 1906.

Espresso - it's not a type of bean, roast or blend - its simply the way coffee is prepared.

Credit to: theoatmeal.com